Aug 2023 Update
Hi it’s Tony Tikiku, the President (and coach and toilet cleaner! lol). Well, things have been happening over the winter! Here’s an update:
Learn to Row
The Student Learn to Row is starting in a few weeks (29 Aug 2023). Please forward this on and let people know you can now register. Details of the student learn to row and joining instructions are here: https://poriruarowing.co.nz/learn-to-row/
We will hold an Adult Learn to Row in November. Sign up to the newsletter to get advance notice so you can register first.
We had the AGM in July and welcomed new members to the committee. You can read the AGM report here.
What I am most proud of is the culture at the club. Everyone is welcoming, is here to have fun and is supportive. This outcome is the result of a significant effort from our committee and all club members over the last two years. We wrote policies about a code of behaviour, a complaints process and have since set the example. Sure we have disagreements, which is great as we need to keep challenging each other. But it’s the way we go about talking and dealing with each other that is most impressive. Thanks everyone!
I also want to point out a few things that have happened:
- We secured a grant for 2xnew rowing ergs. They are ordered and on their way (Aug 23)
- Purchased two coastal rowing boats (thanks for the grants NZCT)
- We are hosting the National Coastal Rowing Beach Sprints Champs!
- Adult rowing numbers are growing!
We advertised and had over 50 adults apply to learn how to row. 45 odd went through the program and about 25 have joined as members. It’s been so rewarding seeing people learn new skills and meet new people.
Plan for the Future?
- the new Learn to Row for Students
- Establish Novice squads, intermediate squads and adult squads as well
- Run the Porirua Goodwill Regatta at Porirua Harbour
- the new Learn to Row for Adults
- And of course, plan for the National Champs we are hosting!
What a cool summer to look forward too! Come and give rowing a go!!